Sunday, February 22, 2009

Amanda Duchesne Standing in the Shoes of Michelangelo Skip to message content



I sculpted a calla lily simply because they are my favorite type of flower. This was extremely difficult for me because I can barely draw a square much less sculpt out of a small piece of soap. I began by forming the initial shape; then hollowed the insides. I had to periodically stop to allow the soap to cool down. It would warm from me holding it, soften and became hard to work with. Finally I tried to smooth the surface to make it look like a more polished piece. At this point I wanted it warmed so that I was able to use my fingers to give the final touches. I cannot even imagine how trying it must have been for Michelangelo to sculpt masterpieces out of a less forgiving medium!

Amanda Duchesne

No comments:

Post a Comment